1. Introduction: the relevance of natural products as sources of new drugs; historical
aspects; the “golden age” of antibiotics; sources of natural products and examples;
2. Natural products discovery I: sample collection; culture; extraction; bioassay-guided
3. Natural products discovery II: purification; residual complexity; structure elucidation;
4. Challenges and innovations: challenges in the natural product discovery process;
technological innovations; dereplication;
5. Omics techniques: metabolomics and genomics applied to natural products.
For more information, search for code FBT5712 on the USP Course Catalog